Saturday, April 26, 2008

More on the Belgian White front . . .

Yes, the sacrifice goes on.


Still on the Belgian White Trail and hitting two more , as I continue to try to figure out just how good I think the Long Trail Belgian White is.


One minor point, the distributor here in the North Country of upstate New York are not getting it yet, so I continue to ask package store owners to see what they can do. The nice thing is that I am on the Vermont border, and so can take a run over there if needed. I heard from sources it’s not in central Massachusetts yet, either. This is their Spring seasonal, so I hope it will be out soon.


First up is Allagash White, one of the more common Belgian Whites on tap, at least in the Northeast. It’s made by a terrific brewery in Portland, Maine, and I have always been a big fan. It’s a little more expensive than most of the others I’m trying, given the fact that it comes in four-packs rather than the six-packs that most others come in. (Note: The Southampton White I reviewed recently came in a 22-ounce bomber.)


This is a fine beer. A little more lemony than most, but it doesn’t have quite the peppery flavor that some other beers in this style have. It’s also a touch lighter than most. It’s definitely one of the better examples, but I still like the Long Trail better.


The second one is, believe it or not, a Coors product. A lot of people do not know that Blue Moon, one of the first mass-market Belgian Whites. Coors did a number of the Moon beers – including an early pumpkin ale. Anheuser Busch is finally getting the idea. (See the new blueberry ale they have out).


Anyway, I always liked the Allagash better than the Bllue Moon, and that’s still the case. The Blue Moon is thinner than the others and has, a bit of an aftertaste. It’s very light compared to the others, and does not carry a lot of fruit taste.


I did get a chance to visit Long Trail again today, because my daughter -- who just turned 21 -- was visiting. The Belgian's still as good as ever, and so is the Imperial Stout, which will nor be up much longer.

No comments: